Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cooking with 1st Graders: Bird Nests



I love to cook and I love to teach so it is only natural that I would REALLY love to combine the two. My first graders ask me regularly if we are cooking anything in class. Of all the things I make with my kids this is my favorite for one simple reason:



Baby chicks! Isn't he cute? Or she? Every April I hatch baby chicks in my classroom (DON'T WORRY- They don't get eaten!) and celebrate their birth with this cute project. So far this year we are up to 9 chicks with 3 more pending (fingers crossed that they hatch tomorrow!)

I make the rice krispie treats in the microwave since I don't have an oven in my classroom but it works out really well. They are very marshmallowy but hey- who doesn't like that. The kids love it and I personally enjoy eating the left over rice krispie treats from the bowl- YUM!

Ingredients:
1 box of rice krispies (I used the jumbos this time and HIGHLY recommend them- much easier to handle)
1 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows
1 stick of butter
jelly beans
Peeps

Directions:
1- In a large microwave safe bowl combine 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 box of cereal, 1/2 bag of marshmallows.
2- Heat in the microwave 2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3- Stir until well combined.
4- Spoon about 1/2 cup of mixture onto parchment paper. Using a second sheet, mold the rice krispies into a nest shape.
5- Top with some jelly beans and a Peep!
6- Enjoy =)

Yields about 20 nests

2 comments:

  1. Too cute! I bet your kiddos loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that chick is adorable and i want one!

    ReplyDelete