Monday, April 20, 2009

Potato-Zucchini Pancakes



When I saw this recipe pop up in my google reader yesterday I immediately changed my meal plan to make these tonight. They were awesome. I slightly altered the quantities of items based on what I had on hand and I omitted the oil. I used cooking spray to keep the calories down (although this is a very healthy recipe even without omitting the oil.) John and I loved these and I think they will be a routine side dish in our house.

I am posting the original recipe along with my changes in bold. I figured out the Weight Watchers points for the variation I made, so if you are counting points and choose to use the original recipe just run it through a recipe builder, such as the one on Spark Recipes or WeightWatchers.com.

Ingredients:

3 medium red potatoes shredded and squeezed dry (I used 2)
2 medium zucchini shredded and squeezed dry (I used 1)
2 eggs beaten (I used 1)
2 1/2 Tbs. AP flour (I used 1.5)
1/2 and onion finely chopped or (1/2 a cup) (I used onion powder)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Canola oil (I used cooking spray)


Directions:

Put shredded potato and zucchini in a medium sized bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the canola oil (enough to cover the bottom of the skillet).

Scoop out about 1/3 cup (or more if you want them larger) and put in pan. Flatten with a spatula and let cook until crispy on that side (about 4 minutes).

** 3 Weight Watchers points per serving (2 pancakes per serving)

5 comments:

  1. Mm, these look great! I've done a similar thing with carrots instead of the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is starred because I love the combo of potato and zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look great! i make a spinach patty sorta like this but the carnivore in my house won't touch them. he does eat taters and zucchini though. i just might have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I loved them when I made them. I am definitely going to make them again, maybe use the spray instead of the oil too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in a hurry so left the potatoes out, just used the zucchini. Excellent. Cooking spray worked great. Can't wait to use my own zucchini right from the garden. Thanks for the WW points.

    ReplyDelete