Monday, March 30, 2009

Balsamic-Glazed Chicken and Bell Pepper Sandwiches



I'm sure most people already are well aware of Cooking Light. It is a magazine that comes monthly and has excellent light recipes. Aside from the magazine there are also cookbooks and recipes online. I have yet to be disappointed by a Cooking Light recipe and therefore decided to give this recipe a try. It was truly delicious. John loved it even more than I did. I did make a couple changes. For starters, I couldn't find focaccia bread that wasn't laden in calories and fat. I decided to use onion flat bread which was a great substitute. Below is my version but the original recipe would be excellent if you were cooking for more than 2 people.



Ingredients:
2 thin sliced chicken breasts
Flatbread (or focaccia as Cooking Light recommends)
Cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
1 cup red bell pepper strips
Provolone cheese
pepper

Directions:
Heat cooking spray in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Add 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done and vinegar is syrupy. Remove chicken mixture from the pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.

Return pan to medium-high heat; respray with cooking sprayl. Add bell pepper; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar (I used 1/8 cup); cook 1 minute or until vinegar is syrupy.

Arrange chicken mixture evenly over bottom halves of bread; top with bell pepper mixture. Arrange cheese over pepper mixture, and sprinkle with black pepper. Top with top halves of bread.

** 9 Weight Watchers points for one long piece of flat bread cut in half, topped with 3 oz. of chicken, 1/2 cup of peppers, 1 slice of cheese ** (Points will vary based on bread/cheese choices)

2 comments:

  1. I've made that too! Isn't it YUMMY? Here's when I blogged it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. I really liked this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete