Monday, February 9, 2009

Classic Baked Chicken Parmesan



I can't believe that I have been writing this blog for 4 months and am just first making chicken parmesan. Growing up chicken parm was my FAVORITE dinner that my mom made. I used to get so excited and think about it all day (which I am sure is not something I should normally admit!!) Tonight this wasn't on *the menu* which is crazy because I never stray from my meal plan... but I had a caving and went with it. This is a very simple recipe and is barely even a recipe, more so just a technique. Enjoy!

Now, I bake my chicken to make it slightly less bad for you. Growing up we pan fried it and in my opinion that is the way to go. It tastes much better fried... but if you aren't interested in frying your food you can bake it like I did- still good.

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts, pounded to the same thickness (I used 2 but use as many as you need)
1 cup of sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
mozzarella cheese
garlic powder
onion powder
cooking spray

Directions:

1- Preheat the oven to 375.
2- Sprinkle onion and garlic powder over the chicken. Rub it into both sides of the chicken breast. Dip the chicken in egg and then into bread crumbs.
3- At this point either fry them in a pan with EVOO or place them in a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cook until chicken is cooked throughout.
4- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Lay the cooked chicken on top, cover with sauce and cheese.
5- Bake until cheese is melted.

2 comments: