Sunday, December 28, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan



As a self-proclaimed picky eater I am trying to branch out and try new foods, particularly new vegetables. One that I tried on our honeymoon and loved was eggplant but I had been intimidated to try to make it at home. I figured I should start with eggplant parmesan since most things covered in sauce and cheese are a big hit in our house! After searching for a recipe I decided on this recipe. The recipe yields a HUGE quantity so I only made 1/3 of it and it was still a lot. It went over well in our house- both of us liked it. I think I undercooked it a TAD bit because I would have liked it to be a little softer but overall it tasted excellent.

Ingredients:
3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Directions:
1-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side. (After reading reviews of the recipe I cooked it for 10 minutes on each side)

3- In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.

4- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. (I cooked it for like 15 minutes since I only used 1/3 of the quantities but next time I'd definitely cook it longer)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm - I love a good eggplant parmesan but don't make it often because my husband is totally anti-eggplant. I'll have to give this a try and half the recipe just so I can enjoy it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete