Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Peanut butter granola bars



One of my favorite types of granola bars are the Fiber One bars. I think they are the best tasting bars out there. When I saw this recipe on Brooke's blog I knew I had to try them. I clicked back on the original source of the recipe and saw that the original poster had updated her ingredient list to make the bars hold better. I followed the updated recipe and found that it was perfect! Not one bar crumbled! Following the advice of someone on the cooking forum I frequent, I refrigerated the bars one hour before cutting them. Overall, they were perfect.

Taste wise these are a must try. If you like granola bars these are wonderful. They have a nice consistency, similar to the packaged ones. I thought the taste was different and better then the ones I buy at the store. Plus, you can really control the ingredients. This bar is full of natural and delicious ingredients. Try them tonight!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Fiber One cereal
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup chopped almonds or peanuts (I used peanuts)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, oats and nuts (I also threw in some freshly ground flaxseed for added nutrition). Set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine the brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until boiling, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Pour over the cereal and oat mixture, stirring quickly (as sugar mixture cools it hardens quickly). Immediately press mixture into the prepared pan using the back of a large spatula. Lightly press chocolate chips into top of bars (if using). Refrigerate for about 1 hour, then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked them! And thanks for the updated recipe - I'll try them this way next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking to my mom about making my BFF some treats. She's in med school and although she's an avid cook she has no time for it. We came up with the idea of Granola Bars and since I have a box of Fiber One in the cabinet I'm not gonna eat anymore of I am going to flag these to make ASAP! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete