Sunday, November 30, 2008

Broccoli, cheese, and rice casserole


Since I have begun cooking mostly from scratch and using less and less already made, processed foods, one of the hardest transitions I have had is finding interesting and new side dishes. I am constantly looking for things to make that are not baked potatoes, orzo, etc. I stumbled across this Cooking Light recipe on this blog and though it sounds interesting. We loved it!! It kind of reminded me of broccoli and cheese soup. I only used 1 box of broccoli, the original recipe calls for 2, and it was still a lot of food. Overall, a real winner and I will definitely make this again.

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked instant white rice
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used onion powder- about 1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup fat-free milk (I used 1/3 cup of milk based on reviews)
4 ounces light processed cheese, cubed
2 (10 oz.) packages of chopped broccoli (I only used 1 box and it was still a lot of broccoli)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can of reduced sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Mix all ingredients and spoon into casserole dish.
4. Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Great substitutions... sometimes its worth using whole or low fat milk. Skim milk just doesn't cut it, right?! :) Looks awesome and super cheesy!

    ReplyDelete