Tuesday, October 14, 2008

John's Oatmeal Cookies




Let me start off by saying that I will probably be making a lot of oatmeal recipes because I bought a huge jug of it to make baked oatmeal and we don't really eat regular oatmeal. So clearly I need to find stuff to do with this huge container!

I got this recipe at my bridal shower from my mother-in-law. These are called John's Oatmeal Cookies because clearly, John loves them! He was so excited when I said I was going to make these today. They came out great! Not as good as Ronnie's though... hers are always so identical in size and round. Mine were a little bit more all over the place. Actually... a lot more all over the place! I will have to talk to my mother-in-law and get some pointers because mine kept breaking apart in the oven. Oh well- they are SO delicious! I am going to take all of the broken up pieces and use them as granola in my yogurt so it is not a total loss- it's actually a delicious mistake!

Now onto the cookies. This is a very simple recipe and it took little to no time to make them. After burning dinner (ooops...) and needing to go get subs last minutes I decided to redeem myself and make John's favorite cookies! Enjoy them!

Ingredients:
10 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract (I used vanilla)
3 cups oatmeal

Directions:
Lightly butter a cookie sheet and preheat over to 325.
Beat together butter, sugar, egg, and extract.
Mix oatmeal into the butter mixture until the dough holds together.
Form into balls and press with fork (I failed at this step... this is where the cookies all fell apart!)
Bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes or so)

2 comments:

  1. These were great. These tasted just like the ones mom used to make. After couple of bites and a glass of milk I felt like a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those sound so simple. I LOVE oatmeal cookies!

    ReplyDelete