Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Easy Penne Alla Vodka


Hi there. Still pregnant. Still hot. Still uncomfortable... still trying to cook meals. A whole lot of "still" going on around here. I'm not really in the mood to think of anything creative so I've been sticking to foods I know we love.

With that said, this pasta was one of the best things I've made in a long time. We are all fans of vodka sauce so I figured I'd try this and this is now my go-to sauce. We loved it. Typically when I make a sauce I try to cut back on the cream and the cheese to make it lighter, but this time I just threw caution to the wind and I think that's what made this so darn good. Cheese. And cream. Yum!


Source: Slightly adapted from So Tasty So Yummy

Ingredients:
1 pound penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup vodka
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Directions:
1- Prepare the pasta per package instructions, drain and set aside, reserving the pasta water. 
2- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is soft. 
3- Add the vodka to the pan, bring to a simmer for 2 minutes more. Stir in the red pepper and tomatoes, bring to a simmer. 
4- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream and salt, once the mixture begins to bubble, stir in the Parmesan. 
5- Add the pasta and ½ cup of the reserved pasta water if the sauce needs thinning (mine didn't need thinning). Serve topped with additional Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment