Thursday, January 9, 2014

One Pot Penne Alfredo


One pot pastas are all the rage right now. I'm part of an online community and I swear the topic of one pot pasta dishes comes up daily! There's something really exciting about putting your whole dinner in a pot, only dirtying one dish, and having a tasty meal to enjoy. When this recipe came across my radar I knew it was a must try. I like alfredo but often it's too heavy for me. This recipe didn't look as thick and gloppy as most alfredo dishes and I'm happy to report back that it really wasn't. I mean this is FAR from diet food, but it's also not as thick and rich as traditional alfredo. My one issue with this recipe was my sauce was very thin once the pasta was cooked. I wasn't sure why it wasn't thickening but I ended up turning off the heat, covering it, and leaving it alone for about 10 minutes (which was very hard for me because I can get highly impatient when I'm hungry) and it did the trick. The sauce nicely coated the pasta after that. If your pasta isn't well coated I'd suggest turning it off and leaving it alone for a while because this is too good to miss!


Source: Slightly adapted from I Was Born To Cook

Ingredients:
8 ounces penne
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups water
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 tbsp crushed garlic
2 cups shredded Pecorino Romano cheese

Directions:
1- Combine all ingredients except cheese in a pan. Bring to boil and stir. Reduce to simmer and cover. Let cook 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
2- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese. Add more pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment