Monday, December 16, 2013

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


Confession: I have always liked tubbed/canned frosting and never really bothered to make my own. That is until recently. Recently I've felt like it just tastes too chemically and it doesn't have a rich/natural taste to it at all, nor does it have that light and fluffy texture I love so much.

 With Landon's birthday party approaching I decided it was time to try out my friend Natalie's buttercream frosting, and boy am I glad I did. First of all, making icing from scratch is so easy... I don't know why I've been relying on a can. Second, the only part of cake that Landon eats is frosting so I definitely needed a delicious frosting for my little man. I have to say this is my new go-to frosting recipe. It made a ton- I was able to frost 40+ cupcakes and have some left over (granted I didn't pipe it on, if you were piping I'd think you get about 30 cupcakes or so). John and I were both eating it with spoons after I was done frosting the cupcakes (should I admit that? Possibly not...)

I wish I had bothered to take a picture of the cupcakes up close, but in the hustle and bustle of entertaining 13 kids age 1-3 I totally forgot. So don't mind the picture of the cupcake stand... you get the point.

Source: My friend Natalie

Ingredients:
2 sticks soft butter
1/2 cup whole milk
3 tbsp vanilla extract
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2-1 tsp vanilla bean powder (optional- I didn't use it)

Directions:
1- Beat the butter, milk, vanilla bean powder (if using) and vanilla in a stand mixer until well incorporated.
2- Slowly add the sugar, one cup at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. You will need somewhere between 6-8 cups, I used probably 7-8.
3- Once fluffy and well mixed frost your cupcakes/cake. Transfer to the fridge for about 10-15 minutes just to set the frosting.
4- Cake/cupcakes can be kept at room temperature once set.

No comments:

Post a Comment