Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Blueberry Waffles


So I mentioned in my last post that Landon is getting pickier with what he will and won't eat. Dinner is usually hit or miss but breakfast... now breakfast is almost always a sure bet. I can typically count on getting a substantial meal in him first thing in the morning so when he recently started snubbing foods we thought he'd like we were at a loss. For example, the little man loves homemade blueberry pancakes and frozen mini waffles. However, the little man hates frozen blueberry mini waffles. Say whattttt? Isn't it just a combo of two things he likes? Well... no... apparently not. So enter this recipe. I figured if he was going to hate on the frozen variety I'd give it a shot homemade. I had seen this pancake recipe floating around Pinterest and I was dying to try it so I threw in some blueberries and made it into waffle sticks using the waffle stick maker John's parents got me for the holidays. They are the perfect size for the baby. Depending on the day he eats one to two of these. They freeze beautifully too so I can make a double batch and keep them for a few weeks.

If you don't have a waffle stick maker or even a waffle iron just make them as pancakes! That's the beauty of batter... it's so versatile. And this batter is a beauty. It is so fluffy and light. A real must try.

Ingredients: Slightly adapted from Coleen's Recipes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 - 1/2 cup mini blueberries (I find the frozen blueberries are smaller than fresh- I defrost them and use those)

Directions:
1-Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl for 10 minutes to "sour" (you will NOT taste the vinegar but it will make the milk thicken). Set aside.
2- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the soured milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter together. Pour into the dry ingredients and whisk until most of the lumps are gone, but don't over beat. Fold in blueberries.
3-The batter will be thick, don't add any more liquid. Let the batter sit, undisturbed for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you will see bubbles in the batter, DON'T STIR.
4- Gently dip out batter and fill waffle iron, cooking as iron directs. If making pancakes use 1/4 cup batter per pancake.

5 comments:

  1. I totally want a waffle stick maker. But I have a big belgian waffle iron thingy, so can't justify it.

    I bet the DH and my LittleDot would love blueberry waffles though. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! And I'm totally jealous of your waffle stick maker! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad. I just made these and they came out soggy and flat. I don't know what happened. When I added the blueberries there was a bit of liquid from defrosting them, but not THAT much. I don't know if that affected it. I was so disappointed :( The picture of yours look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I have no idea, was your baking powder/soda fresh?

      Delete
  4. It's not THAT old. I bought it around Thanksgiving for all the Christmas baking I was going to do. It was so weird.

    ReplyDelete