Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Grueye Puffs


John and I celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary on the first of this month. It fell on a weekday so going out to celebrate was impossible now that we have a baby who falls asleep before his daddy is home from work. I wanted to make John a special dinner so I asked him what he wanted. His request? Something wrapped in dough. That's my husband. "Something wrapped in dough" left the choices pretty wide open for me. Based off the suggestions of some friends I ended up throwing together these delicious puffs. I used the folding technique from my spanakopita recipe and was really thrilled with the end results. These had so much flavor, and best of all they were exactly what John asked for- food wrapped in dough!

(Disclaimer: Here's the truth- the side I shouldn't share. I totally forgot to defrost my phyllo dough in advance. I went to assemble them and almost died! My husband, who never requests ANYTHING in the kitchen, made one request and there was no way to meet it. After a few botched attempts to rapidly defrost it we ate an extremely lack luster dinner on the night of our anniversary, I apologized about 10,000 times, and then we had these the following night. Ugh. So moral of the story... defrost your dough. Please.)

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
5 ounces mushrooms, diced
1/4 cup marsala wine
1 bag baby spinach
3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
16 sheets phyllo dough
3 tbsp butter, melted
Kosher salt

Directions:
1- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft. Add the wine and allow to cook about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the bag of baby spinach until spinach is wilted. Drain the skillet, pour contents in a mixing bowl.
2- Mix in the onions and gruyere cheese. Season with salt and pepper. (At this point you can refrigerate the mixture overnight or continue on to step 3).
3- Unwrap your phyllo dough. Take two sheets, lay them on top of one another. Spread melted butter around the edges of the dough and create an X in the center. Lay another two sheets on top of the first two, repeating the butter. Use a pizza cutter to slice the large rectangle in half vertically. Place about 1/6 of the mixture on each half and fold as you would fold spanakopita (see directions on youtube if you've never done it.). Top each triangle generously with melted butter and a pinch of salt. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
4- Repeat step 3 until all dough and filling is used.
5- Bake on 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. 

 

2 comments: