Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes and Pasta


New Jersey.

What comes to mind? The Jersey Shore? The Real Housewives of NJ? The Sopranos?

Yeah... my state sure does have a lot of "great" TV based off of this state, but I can assure you that there is more to it than just what you see on TV. NJ is called "The Garden State" because of the rich soil. (Did you know that? Or did you think we just wore a lot of leopard print?). Jersey tomatoes are known to be superior to other tomatoes, and while I don't typically compare my tomatoes to those grown in other areas, I have to say that tomatoes in the summer are amazing. I didn't always love tomatoes, but when you broil them/roast them, oh man- they turn to candy! I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest for some time now, but I decided to wait until my local farmer's markets were selling some delicious looking tomatoes. I'm glad I waited- this dinner was amazing! Next time I'd make more tomatoes because I could have eaten them straight up without the pasta, they were that good.

Source: Heavily adapted from  The Noble Pig

Ingredients:
1/2 pound pasta
2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
1 tsp olive oil
Garlic powder
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp prepared pesto
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Torn basil for garnish

Directions:
1- Cook the pasta according to packaging directions.
2- Line the tomatoes on a cookie sheet. Drizzle lightly with oil. Season with garlic powder. Top each tomato with a pinch of mozzarella and some parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
3- Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and crisps a little. Meanwhile, in a pot heat the oil, pesto, and red pepper flakes.
4- Toss the pasta with pesto mixture. Top with tomato slices and garnish with fresh basil.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - there is nothing like a Jersey Tomato! We live 15 minutes over the bridge in PA and drive to a farm stand in NJ just for the tomatoes in the summer.

    ReplyDelete