Friday, June 8, 2012

Caprese Lasagna


First things first: My picture does this recipe no justice. This meal is unreal. And my picture is just "meh" at best. I have started taking pictures out on my front steps in the evening and when I see a neighbor watching me haul my dinner to the curb and start photographing it I start to feel like a freak uncomfortable and hurry it up. I need to not care, because honestly I'm aware that I am going to be the topic of many neighborly conversations due to my strange habit of laying on my front steps and taking pictures of food.

This recipe has been on my "to make" list since Lauren posted it 2009. Yes, 2009. That's how long my "to make" list is! I finally got around to this and oh man, I'm SO mad at myself for waiting this long. John liked this! JOHN liked LASAGNA! If you don't understand why this is epic, here's why- lasagna is my favorite food. Lasagna is one of John's least favorite foods. See the issue? Ugh. But this lasagna? This one right here?! This one John likes! And I love it! It screams summer. I like that it doesn't have any ricotta cheese in it (as does John since that's what makes him hate lasagna) and I like the light "cream" sauce. There's nothing I don't like about this. Go make this, please?

Source: Adapted from Lauren's Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper
9 lasagna noodles, cooked
4 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
30 basil leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced or shredded (or 1-2 cups shredded mozz)

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 375.
2- In a large sauce pot melt the butter. Add in the garlic, stirring, and cooking until fragrant. Mix in the flour to form a paste.
3- Slowly pour in the milk and chicken stock, stirring continuously until the flour mixture is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
4- Line the bottom of an oven safe dish (8x8) with a thin layer of sauce. Top with 3 lasagna noodles (I cut them to fit then use the "cuts" for an inside layer, making 4 layers). Top with tomatoes, some basil, some mozzarella cheese, and a layer of sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
5- Bake for 30 minutes, covered. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to sit 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for posting this. I bought a big pack of basil last weekend to make some ratatouille with and didn't know what to do with the leftovers. This is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good and fresh. I am growing basil, this looks like a good way to use some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, so funny Steph. I haven't brought my food on my front steps yet to take a photo, but I usually place it on a window sill or on the floor to get the best lighting. I am going to have to try the outdoor technique!

    ReplyDelete