Monday, May 7, 2012

Crockpot Italian Chicken


I don't miss much about the pre-baby days. In general I find life much more enjoyable now that I'm a mom. I love taking Landon places and doing things with him, our house is certainly more fun (and cluttered... gosh how one little boy has so much STUFF is beyond me), and life is just all around better. The one thing that's not better? The only thing that's not better? Dinner time.

Dinner is chaos because the baby is tired and we're rushing. However after this past week with John being on vacation we have discovered that Landon needs to go to bed earlier (like 7ish) so now we'll be eating after he's asleep once John gets home. Typically I cook from 7-7:30, but that will now be bed time, so don't ask me when I'm cooking- it's a mystery. (A mystery that the type-A in me can't handle and is obsessively making charts/lists to try to work out. It's hard when your spouse gets home so late!)

I guess I'll be making a lot more crockpot meals, meals that cook in the oven, and dishes that reheat well. Should be interesting. I'm glad I have this crockpot Italian chicken recipe on hand to use because it was excellent. It's simple, the main flavor is really the tomatoes, but I love how the veggies and chicken cook up perfectly. It made a lot so I froze half of it which is very exciting for a night I can't cook! You can sub what veggies you have/want and still get great results. Give this a shot!

Source: Adapted from I Was Born To Cook

Ingredients:
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup marsala wine (can sub red)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
1 cup mushrooms
2 cups baby carrots
1 cup artichoke hearts
Salt and pepper

Fresh basil, roughly chopped

Directions:
1- Combine all of the ingredients except basil in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. 
2- Serve over pasta. Top with fresh basil to taste.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I've been making it for a long time, way before Bella was born...but yeah, it does make life much easier when a little one arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, what size crock pot do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! I use a 6 qt. For this recipe I used the 6 qt. on it's own, but sometimes I put an oven safe covered dish inside the crockpot for smaller recipes. This one was perfect with the 6 qt. though, but would have been fine with a 4-6 qt. one.

      Delete
    2. Thats a good idea about the dish inside, since I find our 6 qt is too big for just me and my husband and food always cooks too quick when I make smaller recipes. Though this one is bigger. Thanks!

      Delete