Monday, February 27, 2012

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet


When I stumbled upon this recipe I was skeptical. The quantities of the liquid ingredients in the sauce were so minimal I was sure this would be dry and flavorless, so for weeks I just ignored the recipe and didn't make it. Yet, for some reason it kept popping up on my radar and I decided to just give it a go. I mean what's the worst that could happen? If it's dry I could just drown it in parmesan cheese and call it a day. (BTW, I seriously miss parmesan cheese... I think of all the dairy things I can't eat parm is the hardest.)

I have to tell you this was not in one bit lacking. The sauce lightly coated the pasta and it was unreal. There was so much flavor packed into so little liquid. John and I were both raving about it! The spice was subtle but enough to give it a great deep flavor. Next time I'd add some broccoli to it, you know for some color and health benefits... if you're into that sorta thing ::wink wink::.

Source: How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 pound pasta

Directions:
1- In a large bag combine the oil, cheese, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Add the shrimp and marinade 2-4 hours.
2- Cook the pasta according to packaging directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet add the contents of the shrimp bag, shrimp and marinade, and cook over medium heat until shrimp are cooked. Toss the pasta in and combine. Top with additional parmesan, if desired.

2 comments: