Friday, January 6, 2012

Chicken Club Quesadillas


It's Friday night and I'm sitting at my computer, staring at a blank "New Post" screen for my blog. I'm looking at the recipes I have left to blog and I just can't get my mind into a story to share about the food. Why? Well, because if I'm honest, I'm in a really good mood and I can't get my mind on anything else. You see, I love being a mom, it's the best, but I have also felt in some ways like I've been going through the motions (cooking, cleaning, feeding baby, cleaning baby, repeat cycle) without really being "me." I think it has 100% to do with lack of sleep. For the past 5 weeks I've been averaging 3-4 hours of (broken) sleep a night. However, the past 3 nights I've gotten more sleep, better sleep, longer sleep, deeper sleep... just SLEEP. And this sleep is making me feel like myself again. I've also been getting out of the house more and starting to really feel like I'm getting the hang of this mommy stuff. All of that put together has made me finally feel like myself again.

You may be reading this and thinking, "Ok, this is a cooking blog, right? Why is she babbling about her feelings?" Well... I'm babbling for a few reasons. 1- I'm tired and when I'm tired I babble. Ask John. Poor guy. 2- I am so excited to feel normal again that I feel like I need to share. 3- This is my blog and I'll write what I want ::sticks tongue out:: so deal. 3- A lot of the food I've made recently was just food, no love behind it. Food for sustenance, thus no big story behind the meal.

So with that said, I leave you with a meal I made recently. It was delicious, it was simple, and we enjoyed it. I think it's the perfect meal to make on a night when you're just not in the mood to cook... it takes no effort but you end up with a delicious dinner. Perfect.

...oh, and thanks for listening to my babble. For your reward I leave you with baby cuteness- and hey, it's food related:

Yields 1 quesadilla

Ingredients:

Cooking spray
2 flour tortillas
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, plus 2-3 tbsp sharp cheddar, divided
1/4 cup cooked chicken, diced
2 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 green onion, chopped


Directions:
1- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
2- Place one flour tortilla in the pan, top with both cheeses, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, and onions. Sprinkle the additional 2-3 tbsp cheddar over the toppings. Place the second tortilla over top and allow to cook until the cheese is melting and the tortilla is golden. Flip.
3- Allow the other side to brown. Slice and serve.

6 comments:

  1. These sound great. Love easy meals when I don't feel like cooking. Glad you have been able to get some rest and are feeling like yourself. Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also bake them in the oven at 475 for 10 minutes or so. I just lightly butter the outside of the tortillas, then place on cookie sheet. That way you can make more than one at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep is so essential. Grab a nap whenever you can! You little guy is too cute.
    The quesadilla looks delish-perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're starting to get some rest and starting to feel more like yourself. I remember that feeling all too well -- when even THREE hours of deep, solid, uninterrupted sleep was an enormous luxury. Your little man certainly is adorable!

    These quesadillas look great. I know my family would like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had these for dinner tonight -- pretty good! Bacon was a good addition. Next time I think we'll add some seasonings.

    ReplyDelete