Friday, October 21, 2011

Chipotle Alfredo Sauce


You know I love chipotles in adobo. If you don't, you live under a rock. I've raved about them over and over again. Some of my favorites are chipotle chicken pastaspiced chipotle honey chicken with sweet potatoes, and carmelized chipotle chicken. They are just so smokey and rich... spicy and flavorful... ugh, love. Especially now that I just freeze them and pop some out as needed I always keep them on hand!

I had seen this recipe on Cassie's blog and was intrigued. I don't love alfredo sauce, and I really don't love alfredo with a cream cheese base, but I do love chipotle peppers and I do feel they can make anything amazing. So I did it. John absolutely loved this and I liked it a lot. I like a thinner sauce (this was that heavy alfredo taste which 95% of people love) but the chipotles took it to another level for me. I will definitely make this again since it was so easy. It is heavy though so don't expect to eat too much of it! John, who can demolish alfredo sauce, didn't eat as much as he typically does. A little goes a long way but it's pretty stinkin' tasty!

Source: Adapted from Cassie Craves, originally from Kraft

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
4 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup pecorino romano cheese
1/2-1 tbsp. chipotle puree* (see note below)
8 ounces fettuccinie or linguine

Directions:
1- Cook pasta according to packaging directions.
2- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pot combine the butter, milk, and cream cheese. Heat until the cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in the cheese and chipotle puree.
3- Pour over the hot pasta, tossing well to evenly coat. Serve hot.

* Note- The recipe calls for 1/2 tbsp chipotle puree. I found that to barely give it the chipotle flavor so I doubled it. Now, it was spicy but not too much. If you don't love heat keep it to the 1/2 tbsp. To make the paste I just minced a pepper and stirred it until smooth with the adobo sauce from the can.

2 comments: