Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Spanish Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


If I was single or lived alone I can pretty much assure you I would eat pasta with sauce 3-4 times a week. I can eat just plain pasta and sauce and never get sick of it. Since I do have John to cook for I try to vary it up because believe it or not, he doesn't share my same die hard ways when it comes to pasta. He loves it, yes, but he wouldn't love just plain pasta and sauce 3-4 times a week. Whatever, he's weird... but I love him.

When I saw this recipe I knew this would be a great excuse for just pasta and sauce. I mean, it's not JUST sauce if it's made from veggies other than tomatoes, right? This came together easily and tasted amazing. It also made a decent sized pot of sauce so I froze most of it for when the baby comes in 3 months. I'm trying to start stocking the freezer with sauces since I know cooking won't be my first priority for some time. If you like red peppers you'll definitely like this. Best of all I had nice fresh tomatoes from my dad's garden and fresh peppers from the farmer's market so this sauce was delicious. I'd highly suggest it, especially while the produce is still so good.

Source: Slightly adapted from DeLish

Ingredients:
5 red peppers
3 medium/large tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
Olive oil
1/4 cup light cream
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a large baking pan with foil. Slice the tomatoes in half, placing them slice side down. Also place the peppers in the pan. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip them over. Return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes. The peppers should be soft and have slightly blackened spots.
3- Chop off the tops of the peppers, clean out the seeds. (You can peel the skin if you want- I peeled any really blackened spots). Peel the tomato skins.
4- Place the veggies in your food processor, processing until smooth.
5- In a large sauce pot add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion, stirring regularly. When onion is soft, about 5 minutes, add the veggie puree to the pot along with the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cook 5-10 minutes over low heat, until smooth.
6- Serve over hot pasta.


2 comments: