Monday, April 4, 2011

Spinach and Artichoke Tortellini


I am a huge fan of stuffed pastas. Tortellini, ravioli, manicotti, you name it- I love it. I would say that stuffed pastas are my guilty pleasure at the food store. I meal plan weekly, planning out our meals in advance. I then create a list and try to stick to it. However, without fail, a bag of stuffed pasta will end up in my cart even if it's not on the menu. I love to keep some on hand just in case the desire strikes. You just never know! Don't even get me started on the new line of specialty ravioli my local Italian deli is carrying- I might go broke.

This meal started off in a totally different direction. I planned to follow a Rachel Ray recipe for spinach and artichoke tortellini that involved a cream sauce. However, all day I was dreading it. I just didn't want a big heavy dinner. At the last minute I changed my mind and made this. It was the best decision I made that day! This dinner was fabulous. And truly, it was even better the next day for lunch! Not to mention that it comes together in no time flat, you really can't lose with this. Give it a shot- it's perfect for weeknights.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 package of tortellini
2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
4 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and chopped
2 cups tomato sauce (more or less according to taste)
1 cup pecorino romano cheese

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- Cook the tortellini according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
3- Add the spinach, artichoke hearts, 1/2 cup cheese, and sauce to the pot. Stir well.
4- Transfer to an oven safe dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5- Bake for 25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great and completely satisfying without all that heavy cream base to it!

    I'm right with you on the stuffed pastas. Actually, anything cheese stuffed is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuffed pastas, too. This sounds like the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy and delicious. Stuffed pasta is my guilty pleasure too. Especially tortellini.

    ReplyDelete