Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Classic Macaroni and Cheese


One of the best parts of being married is that your circle of family and friends grows and extends to encompass the loved ones of your spouse. Now, I know for some this is not such a positive, but in my life it's a wonderful thing. John has a fabulous family and great friends. I am blessed that I now know all of these wonderful people! Through John I have met Diane, our friend James' mother. She is a wonderful cook and always brings delicious meals and treats to gatherings. As a self-proclaimed food snob I tend to be selective at events where everyone chips in with a dish, but I can always count on Diane to bring something awesome.

This macaroni and cheese is her recipe and it seriously is amazing. I had it during the Super Bowl and I immediately e-mailed Diane and asked for the recipe. It's nice and versatile, you can use whatever cheeses you have on hand. Due to that this recipe is actually called "garbage macaroni and cheese" in James' family, but I just couldn't stand behind that title on my blog.

I brought this over to see my niece and even my sister-in-law, who doesn't like macaroni and cheese (she's lucky I love her...), loved this recipe. Try it before it's hot outside and macaroni and cheese falls by the wayside!

Source: Our family friend, Diane Santiago

Ingredients:
1 lb. elbow macaroni
9 tbsp. butter
2 cups of assorted cheeses, total, shredded (cheddar, provolone, gouda, pecorino romano, swiss, etc.)
8 ounces Velvetta, cut into small cubes
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half and half
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and return to the pot.
3- In a small pot melt the butter. Stir it into the pasta.
4- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, half and half, and cheese.
5- Pour over the macaroni and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
6- Transfer to a buttered 9x13 dish.
7- Bake for about 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

2 comments: