Friday, June 25, 2010

The Puffy


So Alton Brown has several chocolate chip cookie recipes. I have previously made the chewy and decided to try out "the puffy." I had high hopes for these cookies- I love thick, puffy, cake-like cookies. Much to my dismay, they were far from puffy. In fact they came out quite crispy! However, I am willing to bet that I made a mistake somewhere along the way to end up with such flat cookies. I'm not a new baker, I know the tricks to getting cookies to not be flat, and yet somehow my "puffies" were "flatties." I will say that even though they were flat they were addicting. WAY TOO ADDICTING in my opinion. I ate a lot of these and am so glad they are gone! I made these for my little sister's 22 birthday and thankfully left the tray there. I will definitely try these again to see where I went wrong and hopefully they'll be more puffy. If you are looking for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe give these a shot!

Source: Alton Brown

Ingredients:

1 cup butter-flavored shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar in the mixer's work bowl, and cream until light and fluffy. In the meantime, sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.

Add the eggs 1 at a time to the creamed mixture. Then add vanilla. Increase the speed until thoroughly incorporated.

With the mixer set to low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the shortening and combine well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough. Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 per sheet. Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown and puffy, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool and store in an airtight-container.

3 comments:

  1. I have a recipe similar to this that makes a puffy cookie, use 3/4 cup brown sugar and about 2 to 2 1/2 T. extra flour and you will have a puffy cookie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently made these with your exact recipe and they came out like a cake cookie and didn't look anything like yours...not sure what happened, but if you try it again they are delicous and puffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to the "puffy" - In my limited baking experience, I would say my flat cookies have been a result of the dough not being chilled. I usually put my mixing bowl in the fridge for a few minutes before I start baking to chill it a bit, and store it in there while the other cookies are baking. This is more important during the Summer months when it gets pretty hot inside. During the winter it probably doesn't matter too much. Anyhow, I could be wrong but that has helped me a bit.

    ReplyDelete