Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes


One of my favorite things to do over the weekend is to make a big, hearty breakfast. When I first started eating more healthy the first thing I thought I'd have to let go of were these tasty weekend breakfasts. However, hearty does not have to equal unhealthy. ANYTHING can be healthy, you just have to find a way to make it better, more wholesome, and with more nutritious ingredients. I decided that an oatmeal pancake would be a good place to start so I googled "whole wheat oatmeal pancakes" and this recipe popped up.

These pancakes were some good stuff. They were hearty and super filling. I ate 2 and was done. Not only was I done but I was full for over 4 hours. I am NEVER full for 4 hours. These were just the perfect healthy pancake- dense and oatty, yet still light and airy like a pancake. They would turn even the biggest whole grain skeptic into a fan. I loved this recipe and will definitely make these again. Next time I'll make and freeze them so I can defrost one for breakfast.



Source: Adapted from Epicurious

Note: Epicurious claims this makes 4 individual pancakes, I got closer to 7 or 8.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons 1% milk, divided
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar


Directions:
Soak oats in 3/4 cup milk for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.

Stir egg, butter, brown sugar, remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.

Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with oil. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 1 minute. Flip with a spatula and cook other side, about 1 minute more.

5 comments:

  1. yum! these look perfect...I bet they'd be great with a mashed banana and some blueberries added in too! I think I am going to make a batch up for my husband and I this weekend. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AMAZING! I will be making these Saturday. Like you when we started getting healthy we cut out our big breakfast over the weekend, which was normally chocolate chip pancakes. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm these look great! thanks for the healthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a HUGE pancake lover and am always trying to find ways to healthify them. Adding oats and whole wheat flour is awesome and you're right, so filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these yesterday morning. I added blueberries and they were so good. My batter was a bit runny so my pancakes spread but they were still yummy!

    ReplyDelete