Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fortune Cookies



At some point last week I logged onto Facebook and saw I had been CHALLENGED! Our friend Jen has posted on my wall saying she had a cooking challenge for me, homemade fortune cookies. I LOVE challenges, particularly in the kitchen. We all get into our comfort zones (mine being chicken, pasta, and cookies!!) and need to be pulled out from time to time. This recipe was easy peasy. The dough comes together in two minutes flat. The cookies are pretty easy to make too. I got the hang of it after 1 batch and was very please with the outcome. I tried to follow the directions in the recipe but it didn't work- I couldn't get the dough to move on the cookie sheet. It was thick and not runny. However, the directions below are what worked for me and were really easy. I can't wait to make these again! Everyone who tried them claimed they were better than the kind you get at Chinese restaurants. I must say I agree.

And if you're wondering, the fortune peaking out says "As seen on http://stephaniecooks.blogspot.com!" Nothing like product placement! I should also mention- John wrote the fortunes, not me!

Source: Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients

1 egg white
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a cookie sheet. Write fortunes on strips of paper about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Generously grease 2 cookie sheets.

Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff. Sift the flour, salt, and sugar and blend into the egg white mixture.

Place teaspoonfuls of the batter at least 4 inches apart on one of the prepared cookie sheets. Stick in the oven for 1 minute, pull out and use the back of a spoon to spread the cookies into large, thin circles, about 3 inches in diameter.

Bake for about 4-5 minutes, or until they are browned around the edges and white in the center. Using a large spatula remove the cookies quickly to a cutting board, flipping them over onto the board. Quickly place the fortune in the center of the cooke and fold over, pressing the edges together. Quickly pull the opposite sides down over the rim of a glass, place in a muffin tin to help them hold their shape.

** Word of advice- the cookies must be hot to work. If you can't move that quickly (like meeeeeee) only make 2-3 at a time.

Yields 12 cookies

** 1 point per cookie

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a braver cook than me! What a challenge, it looks like the turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look great and tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a nice post about the fortune cookies. The stories of fortune cookies are innumerable and they are similarly in demand among masses. They are crunchy popular cookies loved by all as desserts, teatime delicacies and also snacks for children.
    Fortune Cookies and Tarot India

    ReplyDelete