Friday, December 4, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bites


The other day at work I had two coworkers make a request for sugar cookies. They were looking at pictures of Christmas cookies online and got in the mood for some buttery, sugary, deliciousness. They asked me if I would make a batch. I happily agreed- I like requests. It gives me a mission! That night I knew I wanted to make something different. I didn't want to make typical sugar cookies so I started thinking of ways to change up a simple cookie. I decided to try sticking them in my mini muffin tin. I really have a love for my mini muffin tin. For starters things just look cuter when they are mini. Secondly it makes things uniformed in size which I personally like as a Type A anal person. Thirdly they are perfectly portioned. Three great reasons to stick stuff in mini muffin tins if you ask me. I found the recipe for both the cookies and the icing online. I then just piped the icing on top once they cooled and voila- delicious dessert.

These were a huge hit. The teachers all really liked them. One even claimed they were the best cookies she has ever had. I gave her all of the leftovers- if you claim anything I make is the best I promise I will take good care of you- flattery goes a long way. These were buttery and delicious. The frosting complimented the cookies perfectly. I will be making these again- they were just SO good.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original Idea, dough from Jamie Cooks, icing adapted from All Recipes

Cookies:
Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350⁰.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and extracts and mix well.
Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
Grease a mini muffin tin. Fill with cookie dough to the top of the tin. Smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for a minute or two. Then remove to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.


Icing:
Ingredients

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup butter, softned
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, water and vanilla. Beat on low speed to combine, then beat on medium speed for a full five minutes. It won't look like Icing at first, but keep the mixer going for a full five minutes, and then you're done!

Pipe onto the cooked sugar cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a cookie-turned muffin; I don't think I've ever heard of that concept before. I'd love to try ginger cookies in a muffin form, to enjoy more ginger cookie flavor in one treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, these are right up my alley - I love sugar cookies and they have to have frosting and sprinkles on top!

    ReplyDelete