Friday, October 2, 2009

Cookie Spreads



John had a few coworkers over recently for a barbecue. I knew I wanted to make something for dessert for them but I couldn't come up with anything. I was spending an unnatural amount of time in the kitchen that weekend baking for upcoming events so I wanted something fast, easy, and tasty. What's easier than a cookie that you literally spread over a baking sheet? Nothing, I am sure of that! Well.. actually, buying cookies from the bakery is easier- but this is cheaper. So do this.

These cookies were delish. They taste like a chocolate chip cookie, just with the chocolate on top. Not much to not love. I was a little skeptical about the margarine in the recipe. I don't use margarine. I use real butter when baking and cooking for company, or Smart Balance for everything else. I decided to just go with it and I am glad I did- these were so tasty and got rave reviews. Definitely worth a try.

Source: The Pioneer Woman

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 to 8 ounces chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together brown sugar and margarine. Add egg and mix together. Add flour, salt, and vanilla, and mix together well.
Spread dough onto cookie sheet to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/2-inch.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly brown.
Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Return to oven for 1 minute.
Remove and spread melted chips over the top.
Cut into squares.

2 comments: