Friday, July 31, 2009

Veggie Lo Mein


I love making Chinese food at home (I know, I know... it's not authentic Chinese food, but you know what I mean!) I have really stocked my cabinets and fridge with the essential ingredients to make most Asian dishes so I will be dabbling with this cuisine even more in the future. One of my favorite things to get at a Chinese restaurant is lo mein. I decided to make it myself so I could control the amount of oil used. This recipe was ok. It was a little sweet. I think it needs more soy sauce, less honey, and possibly some Oyster sauce. This meal was tasty but it didn't taste like the lo mein I get when I get takeout. If anyone has a lo mein recipe that they love please let me know!! I added 1/2 a chicken breast to mine. You could easily add chicken, shrimp, etc. to make it a non-vegetarian meal.

Source: Blog Chef

Ingredients:
8 ounces linguini, spaghetti or vermicelli noodles (cooked until al dente)
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
1 carrot (peeled and sliced into thin strips)
1 red bell pepper (sliced)
1 onion (sliced)
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons ginger (minced)
1 green onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Step 1: In a small bowl mix together chicken broth and cornstarch. Set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the red pepper flakes and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, red pepper, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until tender. Add in green onion and stir fry for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add in the chicken broth/ cornstarch mixture along with the hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, and curry powder. Stirring until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Mix sauce with cooked noodles tossing to coat and serve.
(Makes 4 servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment