Sunday, April 26, 2009

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Muffins


This weekend was beautiful! It was in the mid 80's, sunny, and not humid. Perfect if you ask me. John and I were in the Catskill Mountains for the weekend and we had a great time, ate great food, and just relaxed. Now it's back to reality and that means work tomorrow and eating better than I have all weekend. To jump start this I decided to make a low fat, low calorie muffin to take to work for the week. I am low on fruit and am out of nuts, chocolate, etc... so my choices of muffins were slim. I discovered this recipe for muffins and decided to give them a shot.

Overall, pretty good. What I find with lighter muffins is that they often have a different consistency than the full fat ones. Full fat muffins are usually full of sugar, butter, and egg- making them very cake like. These are slightly more dense on the outside but just as light and fluffy on the inside. When you try to rip the muffin in half it has a little bit more elasticity to it then your normal muffins but it doesn't lack in taste. These will be a great addition to breakfast this week for the two of us.

Ingredients:
11⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar or Splenda granular
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 2- we loooove cinnamon)
• 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
• 3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (chunky or smooth) (I was out of applesauce so I subbed vanilla yogurt)
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 11⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
• 11⁄2 cups fat-free milk
• 1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 ̊F and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together both flours, sugar, baking powder,
cinnamon, and salt.
3. To dry ingredients, add vanilla, applesauce, oil, and egg.
4. Add milk; mix until all ingredients are moistened (do not over mix; may
need to add slightly more milk if batter is too dry).
5. Fill muffin cups with batter and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
6. Let muffins sit 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool or serve
warm.

** 3 Weight Watchers points per muffin

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to try these tonight! I love having muffins all ready to go for breakfast during the week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I hope you consider submitting this to the Tasty Tools blogging event where we are featuring recipes made in muffin pans. Details are in my blog's left sidebar!

    ReplyDelete