Wednesday, February 18, 2009

First Grade Chefs: Crockpot Cherry Cake



**Sorry for the picture, it's hard to worry about lighting and angles when you have 19 kids demanding cake!

Today 19 of my favorite six years and I decided to celebrate George Washington's birthday. In honor of President Washington we made cherry cake! It was a lot of fun and the kids love cooking with me in the classroom. We cook several times a year and it is always enjoyable. The cherry cake was super easy to make. I didn't taste it because I wanted to give them as much cake as possible but they had mixed reviews. Half the kids LOVED it and half said "Ewww I don't like cherries and it's all mixed in!" Can't please all of them I suppose! I did have another teacher try it though and she said it was a lot like cherry pie.

Also, like my cool plates? They are shaped like characters from Arthur and made me really happy when I saw them at ShopRite!

Ingredients:
1 box of cake mix
1 stick of butter (chopped into small pieces)
1 can of cherry pie filling

Directions:
1- Insert a liner in your crockpot or grease the sides well.
2- Dump the cherry pie filling in the bottom.
3- Layer 1/2 of the cake mix on top.
4- Evenly place 1/4 of the butter over this layer.
5- Dump in the rest of the cake mix.
6- Evenly spread the remaining butter.
7- Cook on low for 3 hours.

**I did add 1/4 of a cup of water over the mix when it was almost done to moisten the few spots that the butter didn't moisten. Worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment