Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pancakes



I have been neglecting my blog with real meals and I truly apologize! John has been working CRAZY hours and it is going to continue this upcoming week. I don't have a ton of motivation to cook for just myself... but this week I will because really, how many nights can you eat egg noodles??

Today I want to have a very relaxing day of just the two of us hanging out around the house (and possibly unpacking, although I probably shouldn't admit that we still have many unpacked boxes in the basement!) I decided to start off this relaxing day with homemade pancakes. Up until this morning homemade pancakes meant Bisquick. Growing up my father made pancakes using Bisquick EVERY Sunday and I always loved it. I decided to try my hand at making them from scratch and see if they held up to the mix.

After looking through a lot of recipes I went with this recipe from Allrecipes because it looked pretty classic and simple. I halved the recipe since the original yields 8 servings. However, when I halved the recipe it yielded 6 pancakes. I wouldn't consider that 4 servings, but maybe John and I just eat too many pancakes!

Overall, these were REALLY good. I added some cinnamon and vanilla and they were great. I did realize, once again, that I am horrible at flipping pancakes. This is one area I REALLY need to improve- most turned out disfigured. However the taste was awesome- I highly recommend this recipe!

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
* I added the following to the batter:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of cinnamon


Directions:

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. All I have to say is Om nom nom. These were perfect. Good job babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade pancakes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i make pancakes every Sunday morning too! it stems from the same tradition of my dad making us either pancakes or waffles every Sunday after church.

    I have a similar recipe, but it doesn't call for butter. Maybe I'll try adding some the next time I make a batch.

    The pancakes look great!

    ReplyDelete