Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mom's Pot Roast


Let me first say pot roast is not pretty... these pictures are not beautiful but the food is good! This recipe reminds me of my mom and dinners growing up. She made it semi regularly and it was always good. The best part of this, in my opinion, is the gravy. I am not a huge fan of red meat and rarely cook it. This was an experiment... and it went pretty well. I will say since I don't normally cook red meat I didn't realize how much the meat would reduce down in the cooking process. This led to my meat being a little overcooked. The recipe below is the one that my mom gave me, the way it should be made. I cut the size of the meat in half because we aren't good with leftovers, but in the future I would make it the way it is and freeze half. I made this in the crockpot, but my mom always makes it in the oven, so you can do it either way. I really love the potatoes and carrots in the gravy, so I felt the need to include a picture of just them:


Ingredients:
2-3LB roast
2 cans of round potatoes
1/2 bag of baby carrots
3-4 stalks of celery, chopped up (I LOATHE celery...so I omitted that)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope of onion soup mix

Directions:
Place the roast and the carrots in the crockpot. Cover with the onion soup mix and the can of cream of mushroom soup. Set the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. After about 2 hours of cooking, add the potatoes and celery. Stir, and allow to finish cooking.

1 comment:

  1. The gravy was very delicious. I'm starting to be a fan of the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete