Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sweet Dinner Rolls



Bread. Oh bread... how I love thee. Bread is my absolute biggest weakness. Especially when it's warm and served with soft herb butter or delicious dipping oils. Even though I really love bread I rarely serve it with dinner. It's just another step and one that I don't really need since I always serve a starch. However I decided that if I bake up a big batch of homemade rolls and freeze them I can have fresh, delicious bread with minimal effort! If you want to freeze them just go through the whole process, including baking them, and then just throw them all in a gallon sized freezer bag. Stick them in the freezer and voila- fresh rolls! Perfect in my book.

This recipe has been reviewed over 1,000 times on All Recipe and has a 5 star rating. Needless to say I had high expectations! These rolls were super easy to make and baked up beautifully, much more beautifully than my picture leads you to believe. They were also delicious! I cannot wait to reheat them with dinner soon- they are just so yummy.

Source: Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise active dry yeast

2 tablespoons of butter, melted

Directions:

1- Dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp of sugar in the warm water for about 10 minutes.
2- Warm the milk in a saucepan until it just bubbles, add the 1/3 cup of butter and sugar to the milk. Stir. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool to lukewarm.
3- In a large bowl combine the egg, milk mixture, and yeast mixture. Stir well. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well.
4- Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 8 minutes.
5- Cover, allow to rest for 1 hour. Punch down and roll into two equal rounds.
6- Using a pizza cutter, cut each round into 8 pieces. Roll the wedges, starting with the wide end. Tuck the pulled dough under each roll, placing the pulled dough side down.
7- Brush the 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the rolls.
8- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, until golden. Freeze any leftovers for later use.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic. I want these... like NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I'm a new follower and have already tried a few of your recipes you've shared. They rocked my world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This used to be my one and only standby roll recipe. They are so quick and delicious! I am glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete