Thursday, October 22, 2009

Buffalo Shrimp



My husband and I share a deep, deep, DEEP love for buffalo sauce. However buffalo sauce is so bad for you when you get it from a restaurant. Considering Frank's Buffalo Sauce from the jar is 0 calories for a tablespoon it's amazing that restaurants are able to make it so calorie ridden but somehow they do. My guess is ridiculous amounts of butter. Mmmmm... butter. I mean eeeewwwwww.... butter! I had been craving buffalo anything for awhile now so I decided to make buffalo shrimp. I typically go for buffalo chicken but I have 2 pounds of shrimp in the freezer that need to be used up so shrimp won.

These were the best shrimp I have made recently! John said it might be one of the best things I have ever made but I think that's because I fried them and I never ever fry food at home. However tonight it was 8:00 p.m., I had eaten lunch at 11:30 (downfall of being a teacher- you can't pick when you eat!), and starvation mode was setting in. Frying them was much faster than preheating the oven and baking them so time won over health. I must say that these were mighty tasty and I am sure they would be just as tasty baked.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
20 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of panko
1/3 cup of Frank's buffalo sauce (or similar)
salt & pepper

Directions:
1- Pat dry the shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2- Dip first in flour, egg, and then panko. Repeat until all shrimp are coated.
3- At this point you have a choice to bake or fry the shrimp. If you bake them preheat the oven to 425 and bake until cooked through and crisp on the outside. If you choose to fry them heat some vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet until the oil "speaks" to you. Put the shrimp in the oil and flip after 3 minutes or so, when golden brown. Repeat for this side.
4- Remove cooked shrimp to a shallow dish. Coat with buffalo sauce and toss until evenly coated.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm totally making these soon, my husband will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for an entire plate of those right now!!

    Did you bake or fry them? If you baked, how long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oishiifood-I actually fried them- my first time frying at home so my husband was THRILLED! If I was baking them I'd probably do about 7 minutes per side, but monitor to make sure they are done and not overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie! These look amazing. I'm on a shrimp kick these days (and have been wanting to use panko more), so will definitely have to try them. I'm so glad you're thinking about making the root beer cake this weekend. Have fun, hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great way to use shrimps! thanks For sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these the other night for my husband. He loved them! And I enjoyed your buffalo chicken fingers as well!

    ReplyDelete